Knowledge. Awareness. Empowerment. These are the core components of REALTOR Safety. And helping our members understand the risks they face can mean the difference between life and death.
The growing issue of REALTOR Safety has become a major concern locally and nationwide. According to NAR’s 2020 Member Safety Report,
- 23% of REALTORS® experienced a situation that made them fear for their personal safety or safety of their personal information.
- 31% of REALTORS felt unsafe during an open house.
- 5% of REALTORS® said they had been a victim of a crime while working as a real estate professional.
- 38% of REALTORS have participated in a self-defense class
- 49% of members choose to carry self-defense weapons.
- 46% of men and 50% of women carry a self-defense weapon or tool.
- 58% of members use a smartphone safety app to track whereabouts and alert colleagues in case of an emergency.
During the month of September PCAR will be offering 10% off all Safety products including tasers, pepper spray and personal alarms.
NAR also has a plethora of webinars that focus on REALTOR Safety. To view a webinar, go to https://www.nar.realtor/safety/safety-webinars
For more information on how to stay safe at open houses, in the office, at home and safety precautions for clients, go to https://www.nar.realtor/safety